Saturday, August 27, 2005

Jesus

Last night, I dreamed of meeting Jesus.

It was a powerful dream. I looked out this back door and saw a beautiful meadow, shorn emerald grass, and wildflowers and trees and brush in the distance. I was drawn to walk across it. I said to myself, "This is a dream, but I'm going to follow it." I got to the edge and suddenly a small dirt path appeared. I knew I had to walk it.

I walked upon it and then it suddenly split into two. The lower half had families walking along it, and the upper path was fairly deserted. I took the upper path. I came upon a few teenagers at this waystation, reading religious material. I knew that wasn't for me. I knew where I was going.

I was walking to heaven to meet Jesus. So I kept walking and I came to another waystation, like a picnic table. There were some kids playing there with plastic toys. And a bearded guy in a robe and cloak. I knew it was Jesus. I didn't ask. I didn't grovel or start gushing. I just said Hi, as if we were old friends. And we started talking.

I didn't want to treat him any different in heaven than I treated him on earth, because when you're friends with someone, why change the relationship just because the setting is different? I was respectful, following his lead. But I didn't gush.

I forget what we talked about. I did ask him something. I told him the bible passage about the parable he told of the workers getting paid equally whether they started work at 5 p.m. or dawn bugged me. Because I said it seemed unfair. He just smiled. Then I asked him if, since I was dreaming this, if heaven was just what everyone imagined it to be in their own minds. I love wildflowers and meadows. I told him, "I mean, is all this just an illusion and is heaven filled with a bunch of old naked people walking about? Because that would gross me out, seeing a bunch of old naked people."

He laughed. He told me no, it was really what I saw.

Some parts are a blur, but I do remember showing him one of my loves - steam engines. There was an old guy there wearing a train engineer's cap. He talked about locomotives and stuff and then we were going to ride the train, but I told Jesus we needed the old guy to operate the engine. Because I love steam locomotives, but I don't know how to operate them. So we went for a train ride and we pretended we were in a wild west movie, chasing after bandits. It was fun.

And then at one point, because I had the feeling I wasn't supposed to stay there, it was just a visit, I asked the Lord why I was there. And he told me that he had been very depressed about what was happening in the world today and his dad sent me up there for a visit to cheer him up and entertain him.

And that's when I woke up. And I felt pretty depressed myself. Things must be pretty rotten in the world today if I'm the one chosen to cheer Jesus up.

http://www.bonnievanak.com

2 comments:

Mary Stella said...

Then again, how cool that someone up there knew you were exactly the person for the job! Who else would take Jesus for a ride on a train AND pretend to be in the Wild West while doing so.

I love this dream!

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hey Mary Stella, glad to see you made it okay through the storm!

Bonnie