Saturday, July 01, 2006

Recipe

More problems with Tia. Took her to the ER vet yesterday b/c I was worried about her eye, the one that was operated on 3 years ago. It could be either a new growth or the cornea is nearly gone, and the fluid is building up. The vet said she's probably in pain, which is why she's trying to scratch it. She gave me something to put on it, but I don't think it helps with the pain.

Came home, cried, and then cooked dinner for her. She ate. Appetite is still very healthy, which is good. But I suspect the prednisone could be drying out her eye, which causes the eye problem. So do I stop the drug that is keeping her alive so the eye will be okay? No answers. It's a holiday weekend, so hopefully I can get her to the eye doctor next week.

In the meantime, I have four days off from work and I'm determined to make the most of them. DH and I plan to spend one whole day having fun. Today I'm writing and doing promo stuff. But I did find a great recipe my friend Jan passed on. I might make it for lunch.

Seafood Au Gratin

1 stick margarine, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 bunch green onions, chopped, 1 pint cream, 1/2 pound Swiss cheese, grated, 2 tablespoons dry white wine, 1 pound lump crabmeat OR shrimp, Salt and pepper

Saute green onions in margarine until soft. Add flour. Blend together and begin adding cream gradually until sauce is smooth. Add cheese, wine and seasonings. Fold in crab meat or shrimp. Serve hot over rice.

4 comments:

Mary Stella said...

Aww, Bonnie, I'm sending you and Tia hugs. Tough time and I feel for you, my friend.

Thanks for the recipe. I don't eat seafood, but I bet that's good with chicken. Hmm. Wait. I'm not supposed to be cooking new recipes! I'm supposed to pack up the contents of my kitchen cabinets and clear out the fridge to prepare for the big kitchen remodeling that starts next week! Ackkk.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Anything that starts with a stick of butter has to be good.

Hugs and prayers for Tia. And you, too!

Janet

Janice Lynn said...

Bonnie, I just read the wonderful article on you that Norah Wilson wrote. It's posted at www.wetnoodleposse.com for any of you who want to read it.

You rock!& do wonderful work! Thanks for wonderful stories to lose myself in & for making the world a better place. Wish there were more people in the world like you!

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Mary Stella and Janet... good luck on your kitchen remodeling Mary Stella!

Thanks so much, Janice. glad you liked the article. Norah did a great job. I'm really not that great...but some of the people I meet in the field are. They're amazing with what they do.