Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My Secret Confession

I have to admit it...I can't keep quiet about it anymore.

It's something I must admit in order to get help. The first step is admitting it, right?

I'm addicted to Kentucky bluegrass music. Me. The semi-urban Jerseyite girl raised in Yankee land. I am listening to "Blue Moon of Kentucky" as I write this. Then there's "Rocky Top." Gimme the banjo, a hot, smoking fiddle and guitar and a chorus of Southern voices raised in harmony, and I'm a happy camper.

I can hear my mother now in heaven. "WTH?"

In other news, Haiti is a mess, again. Sigh. My friend C, who is living there now, emailed me. They're shooting each other again in neighborhoods, children getting caught in the crossfire. Sigh...

Haiti, I love you, but sometimes, you break my heart.

2 comments:

Toni Lea Andrews said...

Hey, I come from an Old New England Family (I capitalized to help you hear the Kate Hepburn accent which luckily died out with the generation prior to mine) -- Mayflower and all that rot -- and I LOVE bluegrass music. And REAL country, not the pop-with-a-steel-guitar crap they play on the country stations today. I walked into an "Open Mike" night a few weekends ago and this scary looking little bowlegged guy got up with a guitar and started to sing an old Hank Williams tune, complete with yodeling, and I offered to become his groupie on the spot.

Bonnie Vanak said...

You country wench, you! I always suspected that about you, Toni, that beneath the tres chic urban exterior lies the wailing soul of a country addict. :-)