Tuesday, July 25, 2006

How DO truck drivers do this?

Decided to leave tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow a.m. Spent today running amok. Honestly, it felt like it. Thought about getting up tomorrow and hitting the road at 5 a.m. and decided to pack, and leave tonight. So I did. I tossed into a suitcase big enough to hold a large male body all my clothing, books, stuff and all that clean underwear. Hard as it was to leave DH, I got on the road at 7 p.m.

Drove 3.54 hours. My eyelids fluttered. Started singing bad country tunes to the radio to stay awake. Now I'm settled in a Hampton Inn. Free internet. Free breakfast. As opposed to the Marquis, where nothing is free, except the a/c and even that I'm wondering about.

Heard the crime rate scare about Atlanta is false. Yes, it is. No, it's not. Yes, it is. Travel in packs. (Like werewolves, only in high heels?) No, it's okay to walk alone. I figure I'll deal with it when I get there.

Pre-conference news is historicals are warming up again. Editors want them. I can't keep track of trends. It's like trying to follow a tennis game. Your head just bounces after a while, like one of those bobble dolls.

Bob Mayer had good advice. Write what you love, with passion. To which I add, and sprinkle in what's selling. If historicals are out but erotic romance is in, and you like writing steamy, write an erotic historical.

AS for me, the only thing I'm writing now is mileage. 260 miles down, only a few gazillion more to go to Atlanta.

No comments: