Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti earthquake Day 4


Still no word on Catherine, but I'm holding onto hope because communuication is so limited. Our guys in Haiti who arrived yest. have a sat phone but even the sat. phone it was heard to hear them. They said it's utter chaos there.

Catherine lives in Petionville, and I'm not sure if her last email on Tuesday, two hours b/f the quake hit, was sent from her home or in Port au Prince. Petionville, where the Hotel Montana is, was hit very hard.




There are tent cities springing up along the roadside, refugee camps. The stench is beginning to get pretty bad from what I've heard.


Going into work with my jaw aching. Couldn't figure out why until I realized I've been clenching my teeth since Tuesday. Three hours of sleep each night, worrying, worrying. Watching the news. Hoping, praying, going into this numb kind of mood and just focusing on doing my job so I can do my job.


These photos are of the Hotel Montana, the room where I stayed in March on the fifth floor. I was just there in Oct and was supposed to stay there in another week when I go to Haiti. Still have a reservation. I was watching the live rescue efforts of the Fairfax search and rescue team digging survivors out of the rubble, and it's chilling. For 16 years, I've stayed in that hotel. I never in my worst nightmares could imagine an earthquake. No warning.


The second photo is the lobby area. I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that this is all gone and people are still trapped.


I saw a photo of people camping out in Petionville. Please Catherine, I hope you and Nathalie are among them.





5 comments:

Carrie Lofty said...

Bonnie, I keep reading your tweet and FB updates about your friend and it's breaking my heart. I really hope for the best. Please know that my thoughts are with you as you wait.

Gerri Russell said...

Bonnie,

May thoughts and prayers are with you and the people of Haiti.

Hugs, Gerri

Anonymous said...

I pray that they find Catherine and her family safe. Is it Hermatin or Hermantin?

Bonnie Vanak said...

Anon, you're right, thank you I've been so crazy that I misspelled her name. It's HERMANTIN.

I just tweeted her name again in English and French.

Carrie, Gerri, thanks.

Renee Ryan said...

Oh, Bonnie, my prayers are with you and your friend. And all of the people in Haiti. That poor island is getting slammed.

~Renee~