Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Hump day hunk



I love this photo of Alain Delon, a famous French actor. Without the cigarette, he's a great model for the hero I'm writing now. Very intense, brooding and filled with inner torment.

I realized today that I am at 26,500 words and still need the 30,000 goal before I can enjoy North & South and DH told me he is working all tomorrow night. So... quality writing time. All alone, with the dogs snoozing, and I can't sleep anyway until he comes home so what else can I do?

Write. And then maybe I can reach the goal and finally treat myself. I need a treat. It's been a challenging week... stressful with the FIL being ill and now out of the hospital... but in rehab. One day at a time.

Which is one reason I'm not doing much promo this month for The Scorpion & the Seducer, which releases April 29. I am mailing a newsletter and hopefully will make RT in Pittsburgh, but that's it. I realized that the most precious asset I have is time, and there is only so much I can do to promo this book. I'm almost at a point where I'm thinking, "Enough." If people buy it, they buy it. If it tanks, it tanks.

You might say I'm adapting a Zen attitude toward my book. It clears the air for me to quit worrying about one item in my life and concentrate on the OTHER things I worry about, lol

The Lady & the Libertine has been a tough book to write so far, and I'm not sure why. Either the interruptions or the book itself, or maybe the characters keep shifting and changing. They're more complex than I originally intended. I did invent a new male character and a new Egyptian tribe in the context of the plot, and I'm curious to see how Kamil develops. He's a sheikh's son and the tribe raids other tribes in the ancient rite of "marriage capture," only it's done with the permission of the raidees. Kamil's tribe lacks marriagable women and he's a sheikh's son who needs to marry.

There's a moving scene in which he goes to choose Karida, the heroine in Lady & the Libertine and at the last minute, turns away, leaving her standing there with her hand outstretched. It's going to be a metaphor for other key moments in the book... her hand outstretched, always reaching for what she can't have, and then finally, grasping the one thing she finally realizes she can have and she does need.

Anyway, I'll see if I can make some progress on this book tomorrow night. It's very challenging to concentrate lately, but if I'm to make this deadline I have to keep up with my writing goals. Life always has interruptions and emergencies and a mini-crisis, but the writing must go on. All I can do is try.

2 comments:

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner said...

He certainly qualifies as hunk. You're next hero, eh? I'm getting that book. As well as Scorpion.

Hope you're doing well. Write!!!!!! I'm taking a brief break from doing the same. Tell me about distractions and interruptions!!

Aimee said...

That is indeed a lovely man, and as a former smoker, the cigarette adds to his allure LOL

Write away chica! I'm waiting impatiently for S & S so it stands to reason that I'm impatient for L&L too huh?!

One day at a time is the best way to approach trying times I think, it's the way I do it. Keeps things simple and I can tell myself at the end of the day, "I did it! One more day down!"

Ok, I'm dying to know already why Kamil is going to turn away...