Tuesday, November 04, 2008

On being an author

Today is the day, America. Go vote!

DH and I early voted. Saved time. Our polling place is a nursing home. Yup, a nursing home.

Good news: DEADLY TOUCH, my next Nocturne, has a release date of next fall! Woo hoo! This is Raphael's story, the Cajun, Harley-riding immortal werewolf. The title will change. I'll post the new title when I have it.

Recently I was talking with some friends about work. life and writing. It's not easy holding down a day job and being an author. It's not just the writing. There's promoting the book, keeping up with a website, dealing with copy edits, galleys, changes, proposals, etc.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.


For all the angst this crazy business can cause; from deadline stress to rejections to last minute changes and anxiety over worrying if a book will have good sales, there is one critical factor that always stands out.

When I walk into a bookstore and scan the romance aisle, and see my new release, it has my name on it.

My name. It's my book. It's something I created, sweated over, imagined, dreamed. For better or worse in the public's eyes, it's mine.

And no one can ever take that away.

That's why I get excited when I meet an author with a debut book. I know what it's like to obtain that dream, see the vision become reality.

There's nothing else like it. And maybe, never will be again.

For all of you who are newly published, enjoy every wonderful moment of the ride.

For those of you who are still aspiring, keep trying. This business is talent, skill, and style, but 80 percent of it is sheer luck.

The moment you see your name on that book cover for the first time is one you will never forget.

No one can ever take that away from you.



2 comments:

Carrie Lofty said...

I'm already so emotional today that this made me tear up. It's a hard time economy-wise to be a debut author, but I can't tell you how much I want my book in my hands. It's gonna be worth it x 100. Have a good one!

Oh, and your new historical cover is lovely.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hey Carrie, I am so proud of you and your debut! You go girl, and enjoy every single moment of the ride!!! Wishing you much, much success and many more!