Thursday, June 12, 2008

A day in the life

I finished Baylor and Katia's story over the weekend, but something just wasn't right about it. So I edited Sunday night.And then last night, I stayed up until midnight, editing some more.

As I'm doing this, the scene flashes through my mind from SHE DEVIL, where Meryl Streep as Mary Fisher the famous romance author is writing on her hot pink laptop, musing over "love buttons" outside her multi-million dollar oceanside home.Ah, the glam life of an author. I'm an author.

And this was my day on Tuesday.

5 a.m.: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...RINGGGGGGGGGGG!! wha??? Oh. DH is up for the day.

5:30 a.m. Drag my butt out of bed and turn on the computer.

6 a.m.: Kiss DH good-bye. He turns off the light in the computer room, a natural reflex from turning off the lights when he leaves. I grumble.

7:30 a.m. Finally decide BROKEN SOULS is done, as much as it can be. Feel better about turning it in. Fire off email to my Nocturne editor, attach file. Feel sense of accomplishment. I am DONE, I think. For now.

7:40 a.m. Realize I'm running late, have to drop dog off at the vet.

8:15 a.m. Take Tiger with me in car to Dunkin Donuts. Clerk peers at Tiger as if the dog will drink the coffee. Drop off dog, rush to work.

8:35 a.m. Arrive at the day job. Drink coffee, check email.

8:50 a.m. Director wants to get together for a "short meeting." I glance at watch; have another meeting in an hour. Forget to bring coffee to "short" meeting.

10:10 a.m. Short meeting is over, now I have a project to write that is due, like, now. I catch the person I'm supposed to meet with at 10:15, postpone that meeting for another 20 minutes. Go back to desk, gulp down cold coffee.

11:10 a.m. Meeting over, another project to write.

11:15 a.m. Drink more cold coffee, start work on project due, like, now.

11:30 a.m. Vet calls, Tiger is ok, just severe dry eye. Need meds, treat 2x a day. Pick him up after 3 but before 5.

Noon: Lunch hour. Drive home to let out Dolce, the other dog, the Shih Tzu we adopted three months ago. Walk in house, greeted by lovely odor of... Walk into living room. Dolce greets me by wagging his tail furiously, toy in mouth. He's deposited several "gifts" in the living room.

12:15 p.m. Clean up gifts, clean rug.

12:25 p.m. Email from my Dorchester editor. He asks if I have a name for the new historical, a synopsis and can he have them ASAP and that book is scheduled for May 2009.

12:26 p.m. Realize I have an August 1 deadline and only 50,000 words and a day job. No book title, no synopsis.

12:27 p.m. Email back my editor with synopsis: "Boy meets girl, has sex, feels guilty, marries girl, girl divorces boy and runs away to Las Vegas to work as nude Elvis impersonator. Boy is heartbroken and shoots self. Title: The Naked and the Dead." I then add, "JK."

12:28 p.m. Editor emails back, "Sounds good to me." He adds, "JK."

12:34 p.m. Realize my lunch is still sitting in the microwave.

12:40 p.m. Gulp down lunch while Dolce gives me pleading look and tries to look as adorable as possible to beg a bite or two. I resist, grab Diet Coke and give him dog biscuit.

1 p.m. Back at work. Finish work project due, like, now, and turn it in.

2:10 p.m. Tackle next work project, newsletter article, Begin searching web for fascinating and disgusting facts about chagas disease.

2:20 p.m. Find interesting article, Print it out and gleefully read aloud to co-workers. "The disease is caused by blood-sucking insects who bite the victim and then defecate on the person's face, depositing the parasites that carry the disease. Death is possible if not treated."

2:30 p.m. Watch co-workers's faces turn green. Chortle.

4 p.m. Realize I have to pick up Tiger at the vet. Blood-sucking insect article will have to wait until tomorrow.

4:25 p.m. Pay bill at vet's and Tiger watches my face turn green as I sign charge slip.

4:45 p.m. Home, Dolce greets us at the door with a toy. Realize the dog needs to be walked before he deposits more "gifts." Looks like rain. Swap leashes on dogs. Walk dog to the accompaniment of thunder and distant lightning.

5 p.m. Take Dolce home. Tiger greets us at the door, looking scared. He hates thunder. Dolce decides since Tiger is scared, he is scared as well. Give both dogs biscuits to calm down.

5:05 .m. Put dinner on. Pork chops. Tiger and Dolce decide they are not scared and nose around my ankles as they realize DINNER is on.

5:15 p.m. Turn on TV for moment to see radar, see that CHRISTINE is on TV. Oh boy! Settle back to watch, just for a minute. Figure this is my reward for getting up at 5:30 a.m. for final editing on Nocturne Bite.

5:20 p.m. Dh arrives home; had to visit a friend's house. "It's pouring." He switches TV channel to see radar to confirm this. Sigh.

For the rest of the night, after dinner, I read over what I've written for THE NAKED AND THE DEAD, aka, unnamed Egyptian historical #7 and began coming up with a title and a synopsis.

Then it was start the process all over again the next day.


Lou Gagliardi said...

5AM!? You get up at 5AM!? I think I'm just getting to bed then!

Gillian Layne said...

This was so fun to read....don't you wish it went at the front of every book, so everyone knows you worked yourself to death just to get the book turned in?

Or maybe readers want to fantasize that authors lounge around the pool all day while magic computers type their best-sellers. :)

Bonnie Vanak said...

LOL Lou, you're nocturnal. Are you a vampire? I used to be like that, but now sleeping in means not past 7:30 a.m.

Thanks Gillian... wouldn't a magic computer be nice? Reminds me of Stephen King's The Tommyknockers, and the woman who had her brain wired to her typewriter so she could think her next novel and it typed as she thought.

Lou Gagliardi said...

I am related to one--a very historically famous one, I think. My research leans towards it to be honest but i dont know.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Wow Lou, you have fangs on your family tree. Too cool!