Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teeter totter

Warning: This post may be a little tough to read if you're an animal lover. If you want to read a more uplifting post, visit The Chatelaines, where I blogged on time saving tips for busy writers.

Tiger had a really bad night last night. And I was telling DH maybe it's time to take him to the vet and do what we must; put him down.

DH said no, no, let's wait and see. Things did get better.

But I can see that Tiger is getting worse. He barely walks now. He eats fine, and does all the other normal functions. He's hanging in there, but I can tell he doesn't have long.

Cancer sucks so much. Tiger will be the third dog we'll have lost to cancer.

I really really did not want to have to think about this, or face it this week. My birthday is in two days, then I'm supposed to head off to RT. My life these days is on a teeter totter. I don't know what will happen from one day to the next. That's how it is when you have a very ill member of your family.

Tiger IS a family member.

I keep hoping and praying Tiger will hang in there for another week at least, but if the time comes when we have to make that sad, sad trip to the vet to give our little buddy the peace he'll need, then I'll just have to do it.

This is the sucky part of owning a pet. They're part of your family, and sayiing goodbye is so heartbreaking.

2 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

I have lost five dogs to cancer. I well know what you mean. It's like losing a kid, I know some people would call me crazy. But that's how it is when you have no children. As long as they weren't suffering and still able to give me a doggie smile. I hang on to them. When they suffer, I suffer, and when I put them to sleep I want to be the last thing they see. Now that is the hard part.
I am so sorry about your baby, I wish there was a magic wand I could wave.
For me I try to remember the good times and all the love my pet gave to me. That's all you can do. Better days!Try to enjoy RT and forget for awhile.

Gillian Layne said...

(((((Hugs)))))) When it's his time to go, he'll go surrounded by love. That's the most you can ask.