Thursday, February 12, 2009

This burns me

I can't help being outraged.

Especially after being in Haiti last week, and dealing with starving children and mothers who lost babies because of crop failure and a devastating series of hurricanes. Mothers whose children died as they helplessly watched because they had nothing to feed them.


I interviewed a mother who told me in stoic resignation how she watched her twin babies die, one after the other, from starvation. "There was nothing I could do. I had nothing to feed them," she told me.

Now seeing Nadya Suleman's story, I'm angry. So if she wanted a big family, why not adopt? She already had SIX children. No job. No viable means of support.

And she spent the disability money she got on IVF!!


The article said, "Suleman received disability payments for an on-the-job back injury during a riot at a state mental hospital, collecting more than $165,000 over nearly a decade before the benefits were discontinued last year. Some of the disability money was spent on in vitro fertilizations, which was used for all 14 of her children."

The state of California, the taxpayers, may end up paying to take care of her family, to the tune of about $1.3 million???? Now she's started a web page for donations for the octuplets. I feel horrible for the children, the innocent victims of all this.

There are thousands across the country who are in foreclosure, homeless, lost their jobs -- hardworking, responsible adults who lost the American dream. If you want to help someone who truly needs it, give to them through a reputable charity.

Please, please, do not give money to this reckless, irresponsible woman.

No comments: