Wednesday, July 16, 2008

There's something just wrong about this...



Yar. Not the picture, which amuses me, and shows why a pirate should never wear tights, as my friend who sent the picture told me.

But other kinds of piracy. Like piracy of music, and books.

My books. I found out that someone else has pirated my first three books and offered them as downloads for anyone who cares.

It's a losing battle, just like the one the guy in the photo is fighting, but I feel compelled to say it again, publicly. It's wrong. Taking my books and putting them on the internet for anyone to read, free of charge, is illegal.

I spent a lot of time and energy and creativity writing those books. I didn't do it so I could see someone put the books out there for free on the internet. More than the money is the time I invested in the books. That's what bugs me the most.

When you download my books for free off the internet, it's the same as walking into a McDonalds, and walking out with a cup of coffee that you stole and had no intention of paying for.

Sigh...


No comments: