Sunday, July 20, 2014

RWA San Antonio


I'm leaving Tuesday for San Antonio and RWA and as usual, there's a million errands to run and stuff to do. Yesterday I went to the hairdresser and said those three little words many women sometimes regret: "Cut it off."

Oh yeah, I got a hair cut.  It hasn't been this short in years. Then I looked at my lost locks on the floor and told her, "Glue it back on."

DH likes it. It's not a short short short cut, but short enough to make a difference. I needed a change.

Today is a rush rush day, but I'm making time to have lunch at a Greek restaurant with a good friend, cuddle with the dogs on the sofa, scribbling notes about the WIP and organizing my clothing so I can pack 50 outfits into a suitcase that will allow only 50 pounds. I was looking forward to bringing my pink Coach purse with me to RWA, but the strap broke. I saw the guy who fixes my computers and suddenly, WHAP! The strap on my purse breaks. I told him, "Is this a sign that I will be owing you more money?"

Bummer about the purse because I bought it for myself to celebrate making the NY Times earlier this year, a major dream come true! I've always wanted a Coach bag, but could not justify spending that kind of money. And then we were in Key West for my birthday and there was a SALE! Fifty percent off at the Coach shop! So I bought my purse.

DH took it to the local Coach shop and they are repairing it for free. Then DH felt bad for me because I wouldn't have the purse at RWA, so what did he do? My amazing hubby bought me ANOTHER Coach purse as a surprise gift! He told me he wanted me to have that symbol of my success at RWA.

What a sweetheart!

Oh yeah, the Coach purse is a symbol of success for me, a personal triumph. But what matters more is that I have been a published author for more than 10 years and I'm finally, finally able to see my writing as a real career and a business where I can succeed. I've published many books, and I've worked hard, but never as hard as I've worked this past year. And it's paying off, finally! I have a fun series called the Werewolves of Montana and I have my Harlequin Nocturne books. I am a hybrid author, publishing both indie books and books with a traditional NY publisher. 

Oh, and I have a day job. A full-time demanding day job where I travel to poor countries. A week after I return from San Antonio, I will be in Guatemala, visiting poor families. None of them have Coach purses. To them, success is a roof over their head that doesn't leak, food on the table and a education for their children.

That's why the day job is important to me... I want to help make the world a better place and help others. And through visiting families in desperate need of help, and writing fundraising appeals to help the poor,  I'm succeeding in that goal as well. 

I will be at the RWA  "Readers for Life" Literacy Autographing will be on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter Hotel in the 3rd floor ballroom. Stop by to see me! 

No comments: