Thursday, July 08, 2010

RWA National in Orlando, bring an umbrella


In three weeks, I'll be at RWA in Orlando, helping Jennifer Ashley present a workshop on "Putting on your shorts." No, it's not a workshop related to the image here, but we'll be talking about writing short stories for publication.

The workshop is 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

RWA was a last minute decision for me. I was saddened to hear of the tragic flooding in Nashville, but when the conference was moved to Orlando, I gave it a second thought. And made a decision. Mickey World is only a three-hour drive, so no plane fare, no struggling with baggage and trying to pack light.

If I truly wanted, I could pack a U-haul and take it with me to the Yacht Club where I'll be staying.

However, the one essential I plan on tucking into my purse is an umbrella. You need this during Florida summers. Every afternoon, rainstorms gather on the horizon and the downpours start.

I'm in the middle of organizing my schedule of where I need to be, and need to do, and need to pack (comfortable shoes for the walk to the Dolphin, where the workshops will be). It will be a bit hectic the week of RWA, because the previous week I'll be in Honduras for the day job. I'm excited about visiting Honduras, because the first half of the trip will be to set up and outline the parameters for a new women's program that's been a dream since I came up with the idea two years ago.

The program will not only provide food for poor single mothers and their children, but teach the mothers skills and give them their own businesses so they can become self-sufficient.

So I'll be in Honduras, come home, and barely be unpacked before packing again for RWA. Should be an adventure!




3 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

I'm so thrilled you will be there--and wow does the Yacht club look gorgeous. I'm off to find out when you are presenting (fingers crossed it doesn't conflict!)

Mary Ricksen said...

I hope you have an uneventful trip and then come home safe Bonnie!!!
And then have a great time in Orlando. Someday. :0)
Thanks for thinking of me, glad to be back too.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Gillian! The Yacht Club should be a fun place to stay, even with the commute" to the main hotel.

Thanks so much Mary! I hope you can attend some day!! It would be so much fun.