Monday, February 04, 2008

That four letter word

Yesterday I really wanted to go to the Everglades with Dh, just tool around, bird watch, alligator watch and relax, but I worked instead. Work, that four letter word.

I worked on page proofs for The Scorpion and the Seducer. Have to send them back today to make deadline. As I worked, I thought I really liked the book, loved it, it's great. By the time I finished, the doubts rolled in and I thought no one will give a rat's behind about the book. It's me.

Fact is, I'm just zonked. The travel does it. I go on a trip and the blood starts humming, the energy is pumped up, and I'm geared up like an explorer ready to ascend a mountain. When the trip is over, I crash. Usually I crash over the weekend and that helps, but I went from traveling around Nicaragua and visiting poor people and starving kids to the romance writing. The page proofs, revising and editing and revising a book I have to mail out next week. Dorchester wanted a new author bio asap as they're DEFINITELY printing The Falcon and the Dove this month (YAY!) and I had some other author stuff requiring my attention.

Superbowl? What's that?

No time to crash. I have deadlines. At the day job, they want someone to go to Haiti, again. People are dropping dead in northern Haiti from starvation. It's bad. But I refused. There's nothing left inside me right now. Two trips, to Haiti and last week to Nicaragua, and I have nothing more left inside me.

The schedule last week wasn't that bad. Most days we hit the road about 7 a.m. and get back to the hotel around 7. Only 12 hour days. I've had 18 hour days in the field. There was some walking, up hills, not much. Lots of driving.

Right now I have to get ready to go to work, the other work, the day job that's my bread and butter. The dog is sleeping under the bed right now. Man, I envy him. I'd love to be sleeping under the bed right now, no pressure, no responsiblities, no schedule, the most pressing thing on the agenda going outside to water the grass.

It's a dog's life. On a Monday, anyway. I'm just trying to be positive and focus on the fact Dorchester is going back to press on The Falcon and the Dove. For four years, I've been asking them to reprint this book. When it's availabe, my whole Khamsin warriors of the wind series will be in print. Yay! I need to celebrate when it's available. Maybe I'll even do something really outrageous and different.

Like sleep, for a change.

1 comment:

Gillian Layne said...

Do you have a date it will be released?

I'm sensing the need for an Egyptian day on my blog as celebration....:)