Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Birthday reflections 2014

Another year older and as I reflect back on the past year, there’s tremendous joy and aching loss.

Last year I wrote a short story for my own amusement and self-published it. I never thought The Mating Chase would carve a new pathway in publishing for me. I only wanted to write a sexy story about two werewolves, something a little more daring than I’d previously written. I wanted to write it with the freedom to write as I pleased, and publish it myself. And once I wrote it, the other characters in the pack compelled me to continue.

Now, as I get ready to publish The Mating Rite, Book 4 of my Werewolves of Montana series, it’s thrilling to know that my self-publishing efforts led to a lifelong dream when I became a USA Today bestselling author. Dark and Dangerous, the book bundle I participated in with Jennifer Ashley, Caris Roane, Erin Kellison, Laurie London and Felicity Heaton, was on the USA Today list for 3 weeks. I will always remember how Felicity, who lives in the UK, emailed us the exciting news as she’d seen it first. I think I screamed at the top of my lungs, which startled a lot of people as I was in the office for the day job. I will always be grateful to those authors and cherish the experience of working together in that project that brought us success. Thank you ladies!

And we have a NEW book bundle out, that includes authors Alyssa Day and Erin Quinn. Dark and Deadly is 8 hot tales of paranormal romance. 

And last year brought heartache and sorrow as well. Too many losses, from my uncle to cancer, a dear friend to pancreatic cancer and then the loss of my beloved sister-in-law at the year’s end. My birthday this year is bittersweet, for Sissy isn’t there to pick up the phone, call me and shout HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

But overall, one thing I have learned since my last birthday is that life is short, but it can be sweet as well as painful, and you need to cherish the good moments and keep them in your heart to get you through the bitter ones. Never take for granted those whom you love, and try to make life joyful whenever you can, for the joy will balance the sorrow.

I don’t know what this year will hold, just as I never imagined last year at this time becoming a USA Today bestselling author or watching my sister-in-law waste away from liver failure and then die. I only know we are given this moment in time, and for every moment we are given, we should hold it close, just as we hold close our loved ones and our joyous moments, and forge ahead as best as we can with faith, hope and love.

And along the way, having a rum runner or two to celebrate can’t hurt!

No comments: