Monday, February 07, 2011

A plane of starving children in Haiti


Leaving for Haiti tomorrow. I have to get up at 3 a.m. to catch the early flight. Gulp.

One thing on the agenda, we are returning to the area in the Artibonite region where the cholera outbreak first began. This photo is a graveyard with unmarked graves of some of the cholera victims.

A relative asked me this weekend what good I have accomplished in my 17+ years of helping Haiti's poor? Why do I keep working at this day job? The country looks like it's getting worse and worse.

I honestly had no real concrete answers. It's a question that haunts me each time I return from a trip. All I could say was that I have to keep trying. For every starving child I meet who ends up dying soon after I leave, there is a another who IS saved.

Someone, I forget whom, put it this way... the amount of children in this world who die from hunger equals nearly 200 plane crashes per day. Can you imagine 200 plane crashes a day? The media would crawl all over the story. Yet each day, airplanes filled with starving children crash all over the world and they die in silent suffering. We can't save them all. But we can save some.

Even one is worth the effort, isn't it? If you were the mother of that child, I know what your answer would be.

Have a good week, all. Also, if you are in the Boca Raton area, be sure to check out a terrific booksigning by authors in my Florida Romance Writers chapter this Saturday, Feb. 12. Glades Road Branch Library, 20701 95th Avenue South, Boca Raton, FL. The event starts at 12:30 p.m.

Authors include Heather Graham, Allison Chase, Nancy Cohen, Linda Conrad, Marcia King-Gamble, Traci Hall, Karen Kendall, Michael Meeske, Aleka Nakis, Kathy Pickering, Sue Peek, Mary Ricksen, Mona Risk, Carol Stephenson, Cynthia Thomason, Jan Washburn, Patrice Wilton and Pearl Wolf.

For more information, click here.

No comments: