Friday, February 19, 2010

Report from Haiti

Internet is finally back up. Our trip got off to an auspicious start when the car in the DR broke down and we had to wait two hours for a new one. But we made it, and yesterday spent a good day in the field.

We went into the countryside and visited a couple of tent cities. The damage in the country, which I haven't seen until this trip, is extensive. There are lots of smaller tent cities along the roadside.

At our last stop, where we're feeding the residents of a tent city of about 1,000, things got a titch ugly when the crowd started growing restless. There's just so much need and people are living in conditions that no one should have to endure.

Today we're sticking to the city and tent cities we've visited before.

Our hotel yesterday had no water in the morning, but when they finally did, it felt great to wash my hair. I've discovered the trick to washing your hair in ice cold water in the a.m. It involves something like a yoga position and a glass to dump over your soapy head.

3 comments:

dolores a jacobs said...

reading your comments from Haiti,I am sure that we cannot fathom the realities of it all-take care, God Bless. Dolores

Mary Ricksen said...

Please be careful, we need you too!
Thanks for being who you are.
Be careful of your heart too.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Dolores and Mary. I'm home and it's good to be here.

Mary, so true about being careful of my heart. I think I need a rest more from the emotional side of what has happened than anything else.

Take care, you two.