Thursday, October 02, 2008

Adopt a Hurricane Ike refugee (pet)

The Broward County Humane Society has 20 dogs in need of good homes. These are dogs who were left homeless after Hurricane Ike hit Texas.

Adopting a dog is so much better than buying a puppy. It means giving a dog who needs love and affection a good home, and saving their life. Last year after our beloved Tia died, we adopted a Shih Tzu. Sadly, she was older than we had realized, and died one year ago on Halloween, but for the year we had her, she had a good home.

This year we took in Dolce, another refugee whose owner had to give him up. He's been joy in our lives. He greets us with a toy when we come home, likes to play, and he's just a total sweetheart. Even Tiger, our older Shih Tzu, gets along fine with him.

Please consider adopting a homeless dog.

Click here to see the adoptees.

2 comments:

Lou Gagliardi said...

I wish I could. I think the distance (I live in PA) would prevent it if it wasn't for the fact that my stepdad just went into remission with cancer, and my mom doesn't want pets.

I cry everytime I see the poor animals. I wish I could take one, two, or even three home with me. It makes me so sad to see them abandoned.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Oh Lou, I'm so sorry about your stepdad. Cancer sucks.

Don't be sad; I'm sure these dogs will find good homes. There are lots of good, kind people around here who give good homes to pets.

Hang in there. You're in my thoughts.