Wednesday, April 12, 2006

my dog is dying

back from the vet, bad news. Tia, who's been sick, has a massive tumor. the vet is sending her to an ultrasound to see how bad it is... but he told us she has cancer and has maybe, at the most, six months left.

i went through this with my mom. somehow, i just knew.

I can't stop crying. next week is my birthday. i don't think it will be a very happy birthday. tia is like my kid, she is the dog featured in my photo. she always jumps on my lap when i'm writing, licks my tears away when I cry...

i can't write anymore.

i'm going offline for a while to try to deal with this. i always knew i was going to lose her someday.

i just didn't think it was going to be like this... I might delete this blog. It's too painful to see her photo here...

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh, Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I worry about that every day with my furry babies as well. Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

FerfeLaBat said...

Sad. My dog Jemima survived cancer. Unfortunately she and I got a HUGE dose of ciguatera. She died and I nearly died.

Time is limited for all of us.

Maybe the vet is wrong and it's actually an undigested Greenie?

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, I am so sorry. You know, that's how I discovered your blog...I was searching shih for tzu pictures and your's came up. I've been reading ever since, maybe a year or so.

I understand your grief. I have three shih tzus and am expecting a litter this weekend. When I screen prospective owners I make sure I tell that this breed is like Velcro and want's nothing more than your company. They will love you to death and do not have a mean bone in their body.

Been a tough year for you...sorry.

Mary Stella said...

*(*(*(*(Bonnie*)*)*)*) I'm so sorry to hear about Tia.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks everyone... we took Tia to the vet yesterday... sigh...

It's weird how your whole life and priorities can shift overnight and all the petty things suddenly are unimportant.

Anonymous... I adore Shih Tzus. I never had dogs before and when DH bought Tiger, then bought me Tia to console me after mom's death, I just fell in love. They have such personalities! Tiger is so independent, loves rolling on his back, twisting his head, searching for his toy he's playing with. Tia is a lap dog. She loves lying in my lap when I write, or when we're watching TV. Sometimes she'll get down in her "let's play" position, butt in air, and bark at Tiger.

When we first brought her home, she saw Tiger, and was thrilled. Chased him around the coffee table. He was like, WTH? What is this thing and why is it chasing me?

The only bright spot, if there is any in all this... is Tia has always been inseparable from Tiger and when he has to go somewhere alone, she whines and cries. I always worried what would happen if he went first, how she would cope. Now I don't have to worry about that... :-(