Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Next time I complain about laundry...



Someone please remind me of Luz Maria. This is her washing machine; a stack of rocks she built and an oil drum filled with rainwater.

She does laundry by hand to support her children.



She's 43 and looks ten years older. She Lives in Honduras with her six children, all of whom she is raising alone. Her husband abandoned her years ago.

Her house is nothing more than a shack made of clay and straw.

She does laundry to support her children, and earns about $10 a week. Her greatest hope is for her daughters to find easier work.

Luz has been doing other people's laundry by hand for 15 years.

"My hands get numb because I have to scrub the clothing, and my back hurts from bending over," she said. "Mine is a killing job."

Her greatest desire is to grow old enough to see her children become adults and have good lives, and be able to provide for them until they do.

"I have ages of washing clothes so I can provide for my children," Luz said.

Ages, indeed.

2 comments:

Norah Wilson said...

Oh, Bonnie, what a reminder how easy our lives are. Thank you for posting this. And thank you everything you do for the poor. You are my hero.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Wow, thanks Norah! It was a very good trip and I met all kinds of fascinating people. And I did two loads of laundry at home and was very thankful for my sturdy machines.