Friday, April 23, 2010

What I did on my birthday



No hot air balloon ride on this special day. Too cold. Thought about a helicopter ride to see the red rocks from the air, but it was overcast. Instead, I had the yearning to hike and explore... and write.




It was 32 degrees this morning. Our hotel room's heater was broken. Brrrrr. We had to buy sweatshirts when we arrived to wear as jackets, but we didn't care.




Today we visited the shrine of the Red Rocks, just above our hotel at the Airport Mesa in Sedona. It's so quiet there, the wind sweeping up the mesa, alone with your thoughts and dreams. The Airport Mesa is supposed to be a powerful vortex. I did feel something.




Then we went to Bell Rock, another vortex area. Hiked around the mountain and then while I sat on a flat area of sandstone, Frank climbed around and shot photos of a bald eagle soaring high above us.




I wrote. Not the book due soon, but a new story I started working on three days ago when we arrived in Sedona. The idea just came to me and I let it soar like the eagle. Sitting on the rock, with my Alpha Smart, I wrote for fun. It was my birthday treat. I let the positive energy flow over me and did something that made me happy.




And I was happy.




Writing for fun. It's not a hot air balloon ride, but it's something I'll always cherish and remember doing on my special birthday in Sedona. If I had one piece of advice for anyone, after my years on this planet, it would be to keep searching for the dream that makes you happy. It's out there, somewhere. You may not make money at it, it may be elusive, you may not have much time to devote to it because of other responsibilities, but never give up.




Find your joy in life and go after it.

4 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

Into every life a little fun must come!
I think it's wonderful.
Happy Birthday Bonnie!! Love you!

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks hon, you're so sweet! :-)

Gillian Layne said...

What a beautiful, and powerful sentiment. Leave it to you to gift all of us with those words on your birthday. Hope it was wonderful! :)

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Gillian!