Friday, March 07, 2008

Dogs

I just got a call from a friend who is calling everyone she knows who is a pet lover who might be able to adopt a dog. The woman is moving and can't take her four-year-old Shih Tzu. The friend asked me if we could take the dog in.

All we have now is Tiger. Rainey died in October from cancer (our rescue Shih Tzu we adopted last January) and we had lost Tia to cancer in Dec. 2006. After losing Rainey to cancer, I swore that was it. NO more dogs. Tiger was it. I couldn't bear the thought of more heartache.

But what about this poor dog and his family? They're heartbroken to have to leave their pet behind and they just want a good home.

I keep thinking about the mortgage crisis in this country, too, families losing their houses and everything they've worked for, and losing their furbabies as well.

I think that's what happened to the cat that's been hanging around our house. It appeared this week; healthy, a little skittish, but very pretty. Kept meowing and meowing. I put out some food and the cat gobbled it down. So I went and bought cat food. I'm allergic to cats, but if it keeps hanging out, I'll feed it. Definitely an outdoor cat.

Florida has the third-highest foreclosure rate in the country. Imagine all those pets forced to be left behind when families must leave their houses to go live with relatives or rent apartments. It's so freaking sad.

I'll have to talk to the Dh and see if he agrees. Maybe it's meant for us to get another dog now. I would hate to see a dog end up in a shelter, bewildered and alone, wondering what happened to his family.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

It is horrible, there are signs & ads all over around where I live that are put up by the bank doing the foreclosure, or the family trying a last ditch effort to sell beforehand.

Abandoned pets are a major deal to me, I've been in very rough spots but have always managed to find a sitter, or a home for pets before moves. I would never, EVER just leave an animal behind to fend for itself. I'd drop it off at the humane society or a vet clinic first. Sure it would suck to have to put a beloved pet to sleep, but it's hands down better than leaving it on its own to starve, be hit by a car, or in my neck of the woods, be shot.
Major major deal the resonsibility of having a pet.
I have 5 horses, 2 dogs, 3 cats (all were strays), a ferret from a ferret rescue, and 2 huge fish tanks, so I know all about not having something you want because the pets need something LOL

Sorry to go on & on, just a sore subject.
I'm so sorry for the losses of your dogs, ours are like our kids, and we'd be devastated if something happened to them.
It's hard to get another when you lose one tragically, but good for you for considering it!

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hey Aimee, you and I are on the same track... I love animals and it really bothers me when they're abandoned.

Good for you for taking in all those pets!

Dolce is now part of our family and I hope he likes it here.