Sunday, January 21, 2007

Writing progress!

Feeling very good today. This weekend I've made real writing progress on the Nocturne book. Worked out a key scene, thanks to my friend, author Norah Wilson, that had to do with transmission of the strange disease that confounds Maggie. I layered the plot with more emotional conflict and I have that wonderful, excited feeling about this book.

It's really coming together and if I can get the rough first draft done by next week, before I leave on my work trip to Jamaica, I'll be happy.

I read an interview a while ago with Karen Marie Moning in which she said she uses emotion to drive the plot forward. I made a note of that and try to employ her tactic while writing. Action-packed plots are great, but layer them with emotion and rich character development and you've got a story that gives you that wonderful feeling inside that says, "Hey, it's jelling!"

Yay.

2 comments:

Toni Lea Andrews said...

May the productive writing bug rub off on me today...

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hope it did rub off, Toni. Rub, rub, rub. May your writing muse always be perky and alert!