Saturday, January 27, 2007

Alphas everywhere


A delightful 74 degrees out and I'm writing the Nocturne book in the Florida room. Rainey wanted to keep me company so I threw this old comforter on the tile for her. Cold weather the other day made her frisky.

She started humping Tiger. Poor Tiger looked at me as if to say, "WTF?"

She's definitely the Alpha.

Writing Nicolas and Maggie's story is fun. Nicolas is definitely an Alpha even though his official position is a Beta. I'm heading into the home stretch with this story. Very hopeful I can get most of it written before I leave for Jamaica Monday. We're heading into rat-infested slums where there have been outbreaks of malaria and leptospirosis. Leptospirosis is caused by rat urine. Already some in Jamaica have died from it. There was flooding in the area where we'll be headed, which causes the outbreaks.

Speaking of rodents, last night I was leaving the pharmacy and as I passed a trash can outside, tossed in my receipt. As I threw the paper in, a rat jumped out.

A Rat. Jumped Out.

I didn't even flinch. I just shruggd and laughed at my reaction. I guess after the hellishness of last week, even jumping rats are nada in comparison...

2 comments:

Jen said...

I couldn't help picturing Rainey and Tiger, LOL!

I wish you well during your trip. I know that's hard to see and deal with.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Jen! I hope all goes well, too.

Yeah, Rainey and Tiger... LOL!