Sunday, December 31, 2006

I'm a book slut

I should be writing. I have a book due and a schedule I made out for myself... but...I've been reading all weekend. I'm a total book slut.

I finished Karen Rose's DON'T TELL and Pamela Clare's HARD EVIDENCE. Wow. Both were great books, but I really loved Hard Evidence, the characters, the setting, the suspense and the sexual tension. I also really fell into this book because human trafficking is something I totally loathe, and it always broke my heart when I would talk to Haitian children who were restaveks, forced into child labor and raped, abused and beaten.

It's been a quiet weekend. I've only wanted to be a hermit, but got out last night when we went to dinner with friends. It was good for me, I think.

Then DH and I today did lunch and stopped by a UBS. Okay, confession time... I love used bookstores. I always find great treasures there. I found Anne Stuart's much much older backlist and drooled on the carpet. Just kept stacking up the books. And then I did something that made me laugh, and cringe...

They had a whole slew of ancient (1976? is that ancient? sheesh!) Barbara Cartland books! I BOUGHT ONE! Call it a spring back into time from my early romance reading days, but I could not resist. Just to have it around. I might even read it, esp. the ending where the heroine was always "lifted up to the stars" by his towering passion when they finally did the horizontal nooky...

In other news, my ENTIRE backlist is out of stock, sold out, at Dorchester. Everything, from The Panther & the Pyramid to the second printing of The Cobra & the Concubine. Yikes.

Anyway, I'm wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year, and best wishes for all your hopes, dreams and wishes to come true in 2007.

4 comments:

KeeWee said...

Congrats Bonnie on being "sold out" and having fun at the UBS!! Have a Happy New Year ... right back at ya!!

Janie said...

I love those old Barbara Cartland novels. And wow, you sold out! Surely they will reprint. I just discovered you.

Jen said...

Hi Bonnie! I'm new to your blog, but not new to you as an author. I contacted Dorchester a couple weeks ago, and let them know I'd like to see your first two books reprinted (I like to buy new), and they said they'd send it to the reprint dept. as a request. There's no guarantees, but I do hope they get reprinted! :)

Bonnie Vanak said...

Thanks Keewee. Hope your New Year was great.

Janie, I devoured B. Cartland books when I was younger. And all romance novels. One reason I started writing them. I hope they reprint, too.

Jen, thanks for contacting Dorchester! That was nice of you. Let's keep our fingers crossed they go back to press. I saw one copy of The Falcon & the Dove for sale at $100. Huh? A paperback? Sheesh! One reason I'm running a contest later this month and giving away my whole backlist. I have few copies of Falcon left, but I'd rather give one away than see someone pay ridiculous prices.