Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Take my advice


1) Read this blog entry by an editor. Just like Kate Duffy, she cautions authors on what you post on the internet or your blog, especially when it comes to other authors, editors or agents. Readers have that luxury to say what they want. They are the consumer.

Like I've said before, I try to avoid posting on reader message boards/blogs/etc. It's their turf.


2) Very important.

Disco is dead. Do NOT dress like this.

Those days are gone, gone, gone. Thank you, God!

I will NOT break into a chorus of, "Disco Duck." No, no, no!

2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

That is such good advice Angie gave. I try never to diss someone in a negative way. If I really don't like a book, I'll try and give a reasonable explanation as to why that book didn't work for me - and prefacing it with the fact that I've liked other books by the same author. I try and remember that whoever or whatever I'm discussing could very well be reading what I'm writing and the last thing I would want to do is hurt their feelings.

Bonnie Vanak said...

You're very diplomatic Kristie and that is always appreciated. Negative reviews are a fact of life for authors. It comes with the territory. The three "R's" in publishing... revisions, rejections and reviews. They aren't always easy to take, they sometimes do hurt, but if you want to remain in this business, you've got to take the punches with the pats on the head. Or at least learn to wear lots of padding so you can weather those punches better. :-)

When I get a negative review, I try to remind myself that it isn't as bad as my reporting days, like when someone threatened to boil me in oil. Ouch. Now that would REALLY hurt. LOL!