Thursday, September 07, 2006

Please don't read my book if...

You are 12 years old. Please. I got a reader letter that deeply disturbs me. I wrote her back. ____, I'll tell you and other 12-year-olds this quite frankly.

Please don't read Panther. Not because of the sexual content, but because the subject matter is too mature for your age. Call me old-fashioned, but I did not write this book for young adults or children. And at 12, you are still a child. There are lots of romances you can read and enjoy out there. I don't want you to read this book... if you like my books and must read one, wait for The Sword and the Sheath. That book has less disturbing content in it.

I am so upset that 12-year-olds are reading this book... out of all my books, this is the most tragic, and the most graphic. It's not meant for a 12-year-old. I wrote it because Graham's character NEEDED this kind of book. Icouldn't ignore what happened to him as a child and gloss over his past. I had to do justice to the character.

But oh wow... the idea of a 12-year-old reading it... makes my guts clench. I know there's way too much information out there now. Kids can learn anything by surfing the internet, reading, etc. But I don't want to be part of their gleaning that kind of hard knowledge.

No comments: