Saturday, March 11, 2006

TUT!!!!!!!!!


I'm home!!! And we saw Tut today at the Museum of Art. Finally!

Yesterday we got to the airport and were told our plane was going to Miami, not Fort Lauderdale as we had been promised. argh!!!! We did finally fly to Ft. Lauderdale. In line for immigration, we met the missionary who was shot three times by would-be kidnappers. He had bandages on both arms and his neck, and was shot last Saturday. He and the pastor fended off the attack with rocks and a hammer. His wife told us, "My crazy husband went after them with a hammer." Yoikes. It was in Croix des bouquets, where we have an orphanage, a normally quiet town. Not anymore...sigh...

Anyway, today we went to see TUT!!! OMG!!! It's everything I ever dreamt of!! I stood at the plexiglass case surrounding Kiya's canopic jar lid and just stared. I wanted to cry because I had researched, read about Kiya, and seen the jar in photos, but to see it in real life...it was amazing. I think the one that moved me the most was that one, and the relief of Akhenaten. It was so real, and after all this time, knowing these artifacts only through photos and then seeing them up close... it was deeply moving. I'm going back again. Wow, if the exhibit has this kind of effect, imagine what visiting Egypt would do? I'd probably faint, or peer out at the shimmering sands for a glimpse of my Khamsin warriors.

DH was equally fascinated. After we had lunch and rum runners at one of our favorite waterfront restaurants and talked about the exhibit. I'm now fired up to continue Tarik and Fatima's story, and have new ideas to layer the book. From poverty and suffering in Haiti to the precious artifacts of Tut, what a journey this week has been....

2 comments:

Patti O'Shea said...

Bonnie,

Welcome home! I'm sorry your trip was so hard on you. :-(

Sounds like the King Tut exhibit is way cool! I can't wait to go. Do you think you'll be able to make it back for a second time through? I know it has to be in Chicago soon.

Patti

Bonnie Vanak said...

Hey Patti! The exhibit ends April 23, so I have time. You'll love it, trust me. It's fantastic!