Saturday, March 04, 2006

Going to Haiti

Leaving 4:30 a.m. Monday. Co-worker supposed to go pinched a nerve, had a death in the family, poor guy. So I'm flying out in his place. Gulp. I have the condo we're trying to sell, the roofers are dumping all the roofing material at the house next week, the contractor is tearing down the Florida room next week, I still haven't done my taxes and I have a 100,000 word book due in four weeks.

Gulp.

If I get kidnapped, all I'm gonna ask is for bottled water, a semi-clean latrine, electricity so I can plug in my laptop and FINISH THIS BOOK, and Tic Tacs. Oh yeah, clean panties. Mom always said never be caught dead without clean underwear.

3 comments:

FerfeLaBat said...

Bonnie. No job is worth this. hait is very, very dangerous right now. You go to some of the worst places in Haiti. Tell them no.

Aristide is coming back. If he hasn't returned already I would be surprised. He has a serious axe to grind with the American government and he consorts with some of the most dangerous drug cartels on earth. His return means his followers are going to feel free to get revenge and it's not going to be just kidnappings for money.

There is no law there and even the American troops will not protect you.

Do*Not*Go.

Mary Stella said...

Be careful, Bonnie!!

Bonnie Vanak said...

I'll be fine, guys. Thanks for worrying, but please, don't. I have this attitude of "whatever will be will be." But that doesn't mean I go dashing in front of trucks to test destiny, lol.